The focus of this lesson is Self Introductions in Hindi
Topic 1: How to Introduce yourself
- Sentence from the lesson:
'नमस्ते| मेरा नाम प्रेरणा है|'
namasTe meraa naam preranaa hai.
"Hi, My name is Prerana."
- Start by saying: नमस्ते (namasTe). नमस्ते in Hindi is equivalent to "hello," which can be used at any time of the day.
- Say मेरा नाम (meraa naam), "your name," and then say है| (hai). नमस्ते..........मेरा नाम है.
- The word मेरा (meraa) means "my." This is a way to refer to yourself which can be used by both men and women. And the word नाम (naam) means "name." है| (hai) is attached to the end of the sentence, and literally means "to exist."
- Pay attention because the structure of simple Hindi sentences is different from English. In Hindi the word order is Subject, Object, Verb.
Topic 2: How to Say "Nice to meet you"
- Sentence from the lesson
'आप से मिलकर खुशी हुई|.'
aap se milkar khushi hui.
"Nice to meet you."
आप से मिलकर खुशी हुई| (Aap se milkar khushi hui) can be used by both men and women. It means "Nice to meet you," and it is used when meeting someone for the first time.
Indian people don't generally shake hands—you are better off using the namaste gesture. However, in a business situation, you might want to use a handshake. Shaking hands is more common in big cities and where western customs are more familiar.